I did it. I ordered a new pattern notcher and tailors square last night on eBay just like I said I would. Not a spiritual experience but not completely without it’s merits.
I have been busy in my studio. Not too busy making new things, rather busy organizing. I picked up this cabinet at a local thrift store for $30 and it was well worth the investment. I’ve been looking for something, anything, with shallow drawers so I could start putting the punch cards for my knitting machine away and still be able to access them with a fair amount of ease. Originally I was looking for a cabinet like the kind used by architects to store plans which seem to come in two flavors: complete rotting trash or very spendy.
My cabinet is a little rough, it was clean except for a handful of jewelry findings though, and someday I plan on repairing the split wood on the top and shooting it with a nice white coat of paint along with some other mismatched pieces I’ve collected. For now though, it’s very necessary and I’m so pleased to now be able to use my crappy shelf for holding cones of yarn while the punch cards are safely nestled away inside shallow drawers. Mostly nestled away, there are still a few that stubbornly insist on being longer than the drawers so they have not quite found a home yet.
The best part though is that I have an official home for my sewing machine feet thanks to the drawer dividers that came with the cabinet. Just by way of explanation, it might seem like I have a lot of presser feet for my sewing machine, but I actually have a lot of sewing machines at this point. I think nine or ten if we’re counting the two overlock machines. There’s a method to my madness because when I do production sewing I like to set up my machines to do separate tasks; I’ll have the Morse threaded for double needle top stitching and one of the Babylock machines set up for safety stitching and my Kenmore labelled Janome set up for applying cording and so on so that I just move around the room (or house, depending on how complex a project gets) in a circle with a pile of fabric bits until all the fabric bits are finished items. It makes the work go much faster with far fewer mistakes.
It’s interesting how organizing one pain in the neck mess leads to solutions for the next pain in the neck mess. The presser feet were occupying some Sterlite containers, now that the containers are freed up I can actually use them for other things if they are dishwasher safe, I’m hoping they are because they are in the dishwasher right now. If they are not dishwasher safe then please dismiss this paragraph. Forget I even wrote it. If the containers and lids do come out of the dishwasher intact I have plans for loading them up with some other sewing notions that have gone feral.
This hutch thing was my previous addition. I like the mid-century molding on it but I absolutely love that it’s clearly homemade. When I get a new air-compressor, this will also end up being cleaned up and shot with a flat coat of white, but until then I’m just happy to use it. The top cubbies show you my notion and trim problem.
I swear I’m not a trim hoarder. It’s just when I buy a bag of notions at Goodwill (usually because I’m after one or two things in the bag) it will almost inevitably be stuffed with ric-rac and bias tape and I actually don’t think I can ever sew enough retro inspired aprons to use all of it up. Sometimes I freak out, load it all into a grocery bag and donate it all back.
I suspect I may have bought trims that I’ve donated more than once. I don’t know if discretely marking them as once mine would even be helpful since I’m usually after one or two things in the bag, I will decide to buy a bag regardless of all else if there’s a prize worth it at the bottom. I think the ladies at Goodwill have figured this out about me and see me coming, I’m pretty sure they intentionally distribute all the cool things equally among the bags when they put them together so that I’ll have to buy all the bags.
I’m sure of it. Read more »